Warwick and Warwick

1857 Family Offering Of Indian Mutiny Medal And VC Ribbon Bar

The 1857 Indian Mutiny Medal, with Lucknow clasp, to Major Coote Synge-Hutchinson, 2nd Dragoon Guards and Victoria Cross / QSA / KSA ribbon bar to his nephew, Major Edward Douglas Brown, was sold in our 9th May 2007 public auction sale on behalf of the family and it realised £2,128.

The 2nd Dragoon Guards charging during the relief of Lucknow.

Major Coote Synge-Hutchinson, of the 2nd Dragoon Guards, was awarded the Indian Mutiny Medal, with Lucknow clasp, for service with the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen’s Bays). He was later promoted to Lieutenant General and became Honorary Colonel of the 19th Hussars from 24th March 1899 to 13th February 1902. His Father was Francis Synge-Hutchinson and his mother was Lady Louisa Frances Synge-Hutchinson, daughter of the Honourable Francis Hely-Hutchinson and sister of the Earl of Donoughmore.

Edward Douglas Brown was born in Dagshai, India, on 6th March 1861. In 1904 he took the name but not the title of his uncle, Sir Edward Synge-Hutchinson (whose baronetcy ended with his death in 1906), to become Edward Douglas Browne-Synge-Hutchinson VC. He was also the nephew of Lieutenant General Coote Synge-Hutchinson.

The award of the Victoria Cross to Maj E.D. Brown, 14th Hussars, was announced in the London Gazette on 15th January 1901:

“On the 13th October 1900, at Geluk, when the enemy were within 400 yards, and bringing a heavy fire to bear, Major Brown, seeing that Sergeant Hersey’s horse was shot, stopped behind the last squadron as it was retiring, and helped Sergeant Hersey to mount behind him, carrying him about three-quarters of a mile to a place of safety. He did this under heavy fire. Major Brown afterwards enabled Lieutenant Browne, 14th Hussars, to mount, by holding his horse, which was very restive under the heavy fire. Lieutenant Browne could not otherwise have mounted. Subsequently Major Brown carried Lance Corporal Trumpeter Leigh out of action.”

He was the Commanding Officer of the 14th (King’s) Hussars from 1907-1911 during which time he re-instituted The 14th King’s Hussars Regimental Medal, the old 14th Light Dragoons Regimental Medal having fallen into abeyance. This medal was to be awarded to any member of the regiment who had contributed to the military efficiency or military honour of the Regiment. By 2005, 200 medals had been awarded.

He was also made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB), Knight of the Order of St John and was made a Freeman of the City of London in 1911. He retired from the Army in 1915 and died in London on 3rd February 1940.

Back to Article Library